Monday, September 22, 2014

TOG's TOP TEN FILMS

TOG's TOP TEN FILMS

10. Spirited Away
This may be higher on the list when I have revisited it a few times. But I love all of Miyazaki films and this is his best. PONYO is a pretty close second and I want a blu-ray of this already. 

9. The Cabin in the Woods
This movie is insane. It takes all the paint by the numbers horror tropes used by so many films and explains why they exist in the most meta way. Written by Joss Whedon, the film is full of his wit and character. 

8. The Boondock Saints
Man this movie has a lot of haters. Considered a cult classic, I seen this movie when I was a teenager. I didn't instantly love it, but everytime I have seen it since I love it more. I think it really appeals to a sense of justice I wish existed in this world.

7. The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
The first of three David Fincher's films on my list. Which is probably why he is my favorite movie director. This movie gets compared a lot to FORREST GUMP but as I haven't seen that yet, it was new to me. Brad Pitt as always been one of my favorite actors and I think he also has three movies on my list. I am going to admit the ending makes me tear up a bit.

6. The Avengers
I have always been a fan of comic books and superheroes. I enjoy when these characters started seeing mainstream success with the X-MEN and SPIDER-MAN properties of the 2000's. Then came a lot of terrible to mediocre films like DAREDEVIL, HULK, and GHOST RIDER. I always wanted to see superheroes crossover which is a lot of the fun of the comics. Then Marvel started it's own studio with IRON MAN. It was fantastic, then when Tony Stark appeared at the end of THE INCREDIBLE HULK, I geeked. It was a bold move to pull off what they did but they did flawlessly.

5. Inglourious Basterds
Quentin Tarantino's masterpiece as stated by Brad Pitt at the end of the movie. Set in Nazi-occupied France during World War Two. The movie is full of other the top violence and ridiculous characters that Tarantino is known for. 

4. The Social Network
Here is the 2nd David Fincher film and this time it was scored by one of my favorite musicians, Trent Reznor. When I heard he was making a movie about Facebook, I was unsure. But when I seen it I was blown away. This movie inspires me to create something for myself in ways nothing else has done. 

3. Fight Club
And the best David Fincher film of them all. Based off the book from the weird mind of Chuck Palahniuk, which I should read sometime. This movie is the ultimate social commentary on the idea of 20th Century western masculinity. Also smart writing and a great twist makes this movie great. 

2. Lord of the Rings
I am counting all 3 as one giant movie cause it really is. Peter Jackson did a great job adapting something that seemed like a huge task. This is what I consider to be THE movie epic. To some it's Star Wars but that is overrated. Return of the King or Return of the Jedi. Haters to the left.

1. The Dark Knight
As in my last list, Batman was my favorite character. So it makes sense this is my favorite movie. It's more then a comic book film, it's also a gangster movie and noir film. It plays off the idea of order vs chaos in the trinity of Batman, the Joker, and Harvey Dent. Great stuff.

Honorable Mentions - Juno, Seven, Sin City, Up, and Pan's Labyrinth

No comments:

Post a Comment