TOG's TOP TEN TV SHOWS
I have watched a good number of television shows over the last decade of so. Not that many before that. I think my first real obsession show was the old HERCULES and XENA shows. I still need to revisit that. Once I start a show I will usually continue it even when the quality slips, unless it gets really bad (looking at you HEROES & SONS OF ANARCY). This is list, and as with all lists, it constantly evolving as some shows on the list haven't even finished yet. Or there could be others I don't like as much when you revisit them later or some I like more. I also excluded cartoon and anime as I can make another list with that at another date.
I have watched a good number of television shows over the last decade of so. Not that many before that. I think my first real obsession show was the old HERCULES and XENA shows. I still need to revisit that. Once I start a show I will usually continue it even when the quality slips, unless it gets really bad (looking at you HEROES & SONS OF ANARCY). This is list, and as with all lists, it constantly evolving as some shows on the list haven't even finished yet. Or there could be others I don't like as much when you revisit them later or some I like more. I also excluded cartoon and anime as I can make another list with that at another date.
![]() |
| 10. Orange is the New Black |
I have seen most of OZ and all of PRISON BREAK, the other big person shows. But just the first season of OITNB makes them their bitch (See what I did there...shut up). I still need to re-watch the first season and then watch season two.
![]() |
| 9. The Wire |
Man this fucking show. If you ever wanted to be depressed about real life then this is the show for you. The detail and characters portrayed is what I imagine a big city is actually like. Each season reveals another layer of the city with adding another dynamic to the show. It never feels convoluted. It really should be higher on the list but I have only seen it once and really need to go out and buy the box set. Hopefully the rumors of a HD marathon in the works mean a blu-ray set coming.
![]() |
| 8. Breaking Bad |
The story of an average man as he becomes something dangerous. Walter White is diagnosed with cancer and decided to cook and sell meth. While that sounds pretty weird, this show crafts moments with such suspense and uncertainly you just scream at the screen.
![]() |
| 7. It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia |
Are you a fan of SEINFELD? Like when a group of friends just nonchalantly ruin people's lives? What you mean that show is too vanilla for you? You want something more insane and dark? Well I have the show for you. Always Sunny is one of the funniest thing on the planet and every main character has it's own humor that just plays off each other well. Charlie Day is my freaking spirit animal.
![]() |
| 6. Fargo |
I only just finished this the other day and I might be insane to put it on the list so soon and so high. But I have not been this inthralled in a show in awhile. Lightly based off the Coen Brothers movie of the same name but using elements of other films of theirs. The most noticeable element is Billy Bob's character seems to be the same spirit of Javier's Bardem character from NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN. He just commends a presence that scares me.
![]() |
| 5. Sherlock |
I just love stories where two overly smart people just try to outdo each other. I have read every Sherlock book and this show captures the spirit pretty well. It is such a fresh take at the same time. I still haven't finished season three though.
![]() |
| 4. Arrested Development |
Look at that cast of characters and tell me that they don't just arouse your interest. A story about one of the most dysfunctional families ever (I can relate). Michael Bluth is an average man with the most insane self-centered family around him. This show is just packed with the most clever humor and plots. It was so well received that it was the first original show from Netflix that they brought back and released in a full season.
![]() |
| 3. Lost |
Lost is full of so many problems. It drags on in some parts and the final season is a little weird. They don't answer every "mystery" but that is not why you should watch LOST. You should it for interesting characters and conflict. The suspense driven show keeps you watching. The finale is highly debated on if it's good or bad. While I think it could have been better, I was satisfied. I did just re-watch the entire series in a 3 weeks span.
![]() |
| 2. Buffy the Vampire Slayer / Angel |
I know what you are thinking, that this is technically two shows. Well you know what this is my blog and I don't know. The two series is really a companion series. Full of fantastic characters and great drama. The monster of the week formula is a little weak and can get tiresome. And I do think if you compared them that ANGEL is the better show. The fifth season is one of the best television ever made.
![]() |
| 1. Game of Thrones |
I am obsessed with this show. It combines the epic fantasy nature of LORD OF THE RINGS with the huge ensemble cast and mysterious nature of LOST to create just a whole weird. Based off the A SONG OF ICE AND FIRE books, they are portraying the land of Westros and beyond in such epic fashion. You never know what is going to happen and to you. The show is brutal and just shows the cynical nature of the human race.
HONORABLE MENTIONS: Veronica Mars, Deadwood, Parts of both Prison Break & Supernatural.










No comments:
Post a Comment